Tagged: knitting

0

012: Knitting! Rogue hoodie!

It’s November, which means that I want to blog. (I don’t know how they are connected either. Just run with it.) So naturally, I had to spend three days figuring out how to do name server things and get my domain back and installing WordPress and play with themes and plugins and Google Fonts and… yeah. All those things.

Because somehow the free WordPress blog I had wasn’t enough. So I guess I’ll have to try and blog more than twice a year to make up for it, because that was a lot of effort.

I kind of want to talk about knitting and not writing, though, so let’s do that.

 

Pattern: Good old Rogue, from 2004 or something like that.
Yarn: Drops Cotton Merino (50/50 blend)

I knitted a Rogue about 10 years ago and promptly gained weight and it didn’t fit anymore. This time I made some modifications with this in mind:

  1. It’s one size larger across the hips, since I’m bigger across the hips than the boob area. So I cast on for the 40.5 inch chest size, knitted that for a while, and then slowly decreased along the cable until I hit the stitch count for the size below.
  2. I made it a bit longer as well, since my usual issue with things that don’t fit is a gap over the belly, which is annoying as hell.
  3. The zipper. Omg the zipper. I actually knitted it in the round and did steeks down the front and sewed in a zipper. By hand. Twice. It was hell. But even if I change my meds again and gain weight, the zipper will help me wear it anyway.

Before steeks. This is also about a year ago, because I put it down for Christmas knitting last year and forgot to pick it back up for a really long time.

  

I don’t have a picture of the way I did the steeks, but basically I split the cable around the hood down the middle and knitted a six stitch panel in the middle. (Which honestly, I wish I’d done at least ten stitches wide, in retrospect.) This is a close up of how it looked, and as a bonus, an image showing the moment I realised that I’d bought and spent four days sewing in a zipper that was at least three inches too short. I don’t know how I managed to both buy, pin in, and sew a zipper (and then leave the house wearing it) without realising that the zipper wasn’t long enough, but I did. And then I had to dig through my stuff and found a really old metal zipper that fit almost perfectly. It did take me another two weeks to actually do it, though, because I was so sick of zippers at that point.

My cat, however, was not team ‘finish knitting this damn thing’, since she really didn’t want to lose her favourite nap spot. That’s okay. I managed it in the end, without her support.

2

011: Knitting pattern #1

Here’s my first pattern! Or I’ve been making patterns for literally yearssss but they’ve just been hanging around on my hard drive, half written. So let’s do this.

I call these Claudie for the person I made them for. I’m Bad At Names (ask anyone who’s helped me name a writing project) so that’s usually how I name them. I’m going to make this available on Ravelry too (here), but I’m putting it here too.

Size
One size, which translates to three inches wide and ten inches tall, worked with about 1.5 inches negative ease. If your underarm is bigger than 8 inches around measured halfway between wrist and elbow, go up a needle size.

Supplies
• About 60 grams of worsted weight yarn, 30 grams per colour. Sample is knit using Viking of Norway Superwash (50 gram/100 m, 100% merino) in black (main colour), and a Sandnes Smart (50 gram/100 m, 100% superwash wool) in petrol (contrast colour). These two yarns may or may not be available outside of Scandinavia.
• US6/4 mm circular or double pointed needles
• 2 stitch markers

Gauge
5.5 sts and 7 rows per inch.

Directions
Cast on 40 sts in MC.

Rest of pattern ⌲ ⌲ ⌲

0

004: Knitting project finished!

I said I’d use this blog for Instagram stuff I don’t want to lose in the madness that is my feed, so let’s get on that.

19122449_1468236123213807_1923953561138364416_n

This is Argante by PicnicKnits, knitted in Debbie Bliss Andes, of some mystery colour (I always lose the yarn label), bought at some mysterious point in life I can’t remember. I think possibly at Strikk in Gothenburg years ago? But I’m not sure.

Either way, it came out really well! I did some minor modifications, mainly because I wanted something scarf-ish that was also a shawl, so I didn’t increase until the halfway point. Instead I, after the short row section, kept increasing for a bit, but only every third row, and then I knitted it flat without increasing until I got to the halfway point. And they I did the reverse for the second half of the scarf and it turned out really well.

22220585_123028095064152_4953507523324805120_n

22158096_1649061165124386_3441564990866194432_n

22220585_123028095064152_4953507523324805120_n1

I’m really loving how the fabric came out, all drapey and nice. I also have a thing for loose garter stitch. I don’t know what it is about it, I just love it! So this one is going to be my new go to shawl, all winter long.

This one took me months and months, mainly because I took a break to do some cross stitch when my wrists didn’t want to play along. But I finished it just in time for autumn, so yay.