It’s November, which means that I want to blog. (I don’t know how they are connected either. Just run with it.) So naturally, I had to spend three days figuring out how to do name server things and get my domain back and installing WordPress and play with themes and plugins and Google Fonts and… yeah. All those things.
Because somehow the free WordPress blog I had wasn’t enough. So I guess I’ll have to try and blog more than twice a year to make up for it, because that was a lot of effort.
I kind of want to talk about knitting and not writing, though, so let’s do that.
Pattern: Good old Rogue, from 2004 or something like that.
Yarn: Drops Cotton Merino (50/50 blend)
I knitted a Rogue about 10 years ago and promptly gained weight and it didn’t fit anymore. This time I made some modifications with this in mind:
- It’s one size larger across the hips, since I’m bigger across the hips than the boob area. So I cast on for the 40.5 inch chest size, knitted that for a while, and then slowly decreased along the cable until I hit the stitch count for the size below.
- I made it a bit longer as well, since my usual issue with things that don’t fit is a gap over the belly, which is annoying as hell.
- The zipper. Omg the zipper. I actually knitted it in the round and did steeks down the front and sewed in a zipper. By hand. Twice. It was hell. But even if I change my meds again and gain weight, the zipper will help me wear it anyway.
Before steeks. This is also about a year ago, because I put it down for Christmas knitting last year and forgot to pick it back up for a really long time.
I don’t have a picture of the way I did the steeks, but basically I split the cable around the hood down the middle and knitted a six stitch panel in the middle. (Which honestly, I wish I’d done at least ten stitches wide, in retrospect.) This is a close up of how it looked, and as a bonus, an image showing the moment I realised that I’d bought and spent four days sewing in a zipper that was at least three inches too short. I don’t know how I managed to both buy, pin in, and sew a zipper (and then leave the house wearing it) without realising that the zipper wasn’t long enough, but I did. And then I had to dig through my stuff and found a really old metal zipper that fit almost perfectly. It did take me another two weeks to actually do it, though, because I was so sick of zippers at that point.
My cat, however, was not team ‘finish knitting this damn thing’, since she really didn’t want to lose her favourite nap spot. That’s okay. I managed it in the end, without her support.